Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Smart TV not so Smart

 I finally caved and replaced a tube tv and its attached FIOS SD Set Top Box (box rental is $10 a month) with a Vizio Smart TV.  I chose a Vizio with built in Chromecast because my old Vizio HDTV works great with the Chromecast dongle streaming from an Android mobile.

Often I have read it was better to add a streaming device to a dumb TV than get a Smart TV but I had assumed a built in Chromecast would perform as well with my mobile devices .... WRONG!

The TV has way less apps than the ROKU Express and android mobile phones.  Some of the TV apps are glitchy.  The TV will serve ok in the room it is in but my other dumb HDTVs with streaming devices are much smarter.  I can still use the free FIOS channels with the coaxial cable after a tedious setup and a few of the limited apps for streaming VOD (thank Goodness for Hulu).  I stopped using the FIOS Set Top Boxes for VOD long ago, preferring streaming devices and mobile phones. Phone apps do cast to the built in Chromecast but I may get a ROKU Express for it eventually.

One thing for sure, my tech phobic husband will never use it!

Edited to Add:
It is freezing and crashing less so I decided to keep it and ordered another ROKU Express for it to access more apps.
Ironically, I do not even need a tv in this room which I mostly used for MSNBC at night.
In fact, I can access MSNBC  more reliably on an android phone or on my laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment