Friday, April 6, 2018

An Old Dog Can Learn New Tricks

I recently turned 69 and have been online for almost 20 years and exercising regularly with videos for almost as long.   As much as I seem to be able to simplify complicated tech issues, I have been very resistant to change.  We were using AOL dial-up and totally skipped DSL.  Our family had nothing but one old Windows XP desk top for a decade, skipped Vista, and was late trying a Windows 7 laptop till 2011.  I clung to my exercise vhs and vcrs, never went blu ray, and only had tube tvs till 2012.  Even now we never went dvr and only have HD capability on one of our two HDTVs.  We use Tracfones and do not have an activated smart phone.

Part of it is frugality.  If it ain't broke, why fix it or spend more on something unnecessary.  My husband is tech phobic so prefers not evolving.  Changes can be stressful as well as more costly. Older folks tend to be resistant to advances in technology.  Every daylight savings day, it was a battle between my mother and mother-in-law whose vcr will have their time corrected by me first.  My Mother did not speak to me for 6 months because I did my mother-in-law's vcr before hers on that very first Sunday morning!

For almost 2 decades, I enjoyed working out every morning in our basement with my old tube tv, vcr or cheap dvd player, and cheap speaker system.  I liked working out with myself in a mirror and would just glance at the tv. 
Ever so slowly because of having so many bungees in so many rooms and two laptops plugged into old pc power speakers, I started using either video files or streaming on the laptops when working out.   The bungees were at better angles with the laptops than either HD TV and I was too lazy to move furniture and connect the laptops to the tvs.  Meanwhile, I was still editing files and burning them to dvdr to use in the basement but just on laundry days.  I am using so many streaming sites that I started buying streams and downloads instead of dvds.  Recently I finally tried some dvds which were identical to a couple of my streamed downloads and was shocked to see the streams on the laptops were better than the dvds on my tube tv.
 
I will still use dvds on laundry day but have definitely fallen on the streaming/download side of the fence.
An Old Dog has Learned a New Trick
but still no need for a Smart Phone, dvr, or fancier bungee LOL

Just wanted to give a shout out to WalkingOnlineWorkouts.
I am loving their streaming with great music, moves, and scenery.
So glad I had transitioned to streaming so I can enjoy these!

No comments:

Post a Comment