Wednesday, April 11, 2018

DVDs vs Streaming vs Downloadable Video Files

I have been a collector of workout VHS, dvd and digital downloads.
Slowly but surely, I have evolved into preferring digital downloads, especially if I want to edit them for my own private use.
However, I do like streaming when the video plays without any glitches if I like its audio and moves.

People who re-sell dvds are not putting money into the pockets of the original copyright owners. 
Many dvd owners rip their dvds and then sell, trade, or gift them.
(Some even clone them)
So why not enable all streams to be downloaded into digital files and owned permanently by the customer so they can be used without an internet connection?

I understand why some instructors prefer not to enable their streams to be downloaded and played without at least a protected app like the Purple Player platform but the truth is that there are many ways to download a stream into a digital file or record a stream anyway.
(There are also customers who pool their money and share expensive subscriptions)

By not enabling a download, they are probably losing more business than protecting their content.
A streaming only site that does not add enough new content to keep long term subscribers interested is not going to attract as many new long term customers.


No comments:

Post a Comment