Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday & Fall's workout Focus

I actually stopped taking a full 20 minute break during a workout session awhile ago because I saw no real plateau changes so lost interest.  The focus of using a 20 minute break to extend a workout session coincided with the start of this blog.  With cooler temps,  I have decided it was time to go back to a lower intensity and longer duration workout session which was kinder to my joints and helped to temporarily break through my plateau when tried in the past.  I've changed my workout focus as of yesterday to tweaking all workouts to a lower intensity and trying to do 90 minutes a day minimum.  90 minutes of movement seems to be the key for me for weightloss and I can only do 90 minutes at lower intensities to avoid overtraining.  If I don't get 90 minutes done in the morning, I will do a spark to complete the 90 minutes.  The main differences between this time and the last time I tried this approach is that I will not be wearing a heartrate monitor and will modify higher intensity workouts downwards by going halftime and/or doing less reps so I can do any of my workouts and not ignore the ones that are higher in intensity.  My perceived exertion always seemed to coincide with the heartrate monitor and I want to concentrate on my movements or movement modifications rather than the monitor.

Yesterday I did a 20 minute spark using Exercise TV's kettlebell workout with Jillian.  Couldn't believe her horrible form on Turkish Getups and lack of cuing but hey, it's Jillian.  I don't do full Turkish getups anyways.

This morning I did Debra Mazda's Let's Get Moving with Fitstix,  some of it on the UR then Rock It Out Hardcore Abs and finished with a Classical Stretch.  Instead of pooping after 20 to 30 minutes as I had been experiencing at higher intensities, I am finding I can do these 50 minute or more workouts within one workout session by pacing myself.

May or not not do a spark later because I did get the full 90 minutes done this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment