Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tuesday and Joint Pain

This morning was one of those dreaded mornings when I wake up with a lot of joint pain.  Could be the colder weather we are getting. Sometimes when the cold weather season starts, I restrict myself to low intensity only till my body adapts and take long hot baths.  Never have been officially diagnosed but believe I have some sort of unpredictable painful flare condition.  I have lived with pain most of my life but believe it or not, am in less pain now in my 60's than I was in my 30's! So before I workout which I know will actually help, I can share some of my pain relief tips.  

Luckily, it isn't sciatica this morning but if it were, I would do the Egoscue Supine Groin Stretch.  I have a link to that but their page doesn't emphasize enough how critical it is to keep the extended foot propped upright and that the stretch could take as long as 45 minutes a side. Most people who try it and do not find relief, do not give it enough time.  It realigns all of the joints with gravity.  Ironically, I have found that some back exercises and stretches suggested for sciatica will actually trigger sciatica for me!

My miracle cure for all injuries as well as unexplained pain is Arnica Gel.  I linked it to the GNC store because it is the cheapest and most conveniently found at their brick & mortar stores.  This stuff is beyond amazing. Apply it to any injury or sudden twinge as soon as possible and it will relieve pain and bruising.  I have a tube on every level of my home and never leave home without it, having a tube in my fanny pack and suitcase.  Never would have known about it if I hadn't met a gal through TaeBo from the UK where is is used by the general population much more than in the US .  If I had known about it sooner, it would have saved me from way too many days of unneeded suffering.  It is especially great whenever a knee twinges or I feel like I pulled a back muscle or smacked a bodypart against an inanimate object cuz I am a bit of a klutz.  I try to avoid all painkillers except Tylenol because I have a tendency to bruise with the others if I take any too often.

As mentioned earlier, my chronic elbow pain and occasional shoulder pain have been controlled well by switching from dumb bells to Fitstix.

My current problem has been my left foot but it is improving.  Arnica gel relieves the pain and on really bad days, I tape it (didn't link that particular site but there are many that show how to tape feet for whatever problems are ongoing).  Also rolling my foot on a tennis ball and skinbrushing seems to help it (sorry but lost that skinbrushing link as well LOL).

Should mention rolling (on a tennis ball, rolling pin, foam roller, etc.) can really help pain if you can loosen the tight spot or triggerpoint of most painful areas.  There are many dvds and books available with this type of therapy information.  Even youtube has many helpful clips.


OK, I will be working out soon but may adjust what I am planning depending on how my joints respond so will add in the details of what I did later. 


ETA:

Just finished my workout which started with the 29 minute Beginner's workout vhs I found for 75 cents yesterday at a thrift store.  It was low impact aerobics with an upper body weightless focus which worked fine with the Fitstix.  I healthbounced to warm up during their warmup stretch, switched to healthbouncing during their abs and finished with their warmup stretch.

Rested 20 minutes then did some of Margaret Richard from Mag Rack, some of Incredible Abs2 which is my least favorite cuz mostly mat, and some Classical Stretch.  Whole body feels well worked.  As expected, everything feels much better after moving.  I have found there is always a way to move that will make me feel better no matter what my current condition is.  Big mistake in the past was not to move when something hurt and then the pain would radiate to other areas.  There are endless ways to modify workouts to avoid using an injured bodypart.  Only time I will not workout at all except gentle healthbouncing is when I have a cold starting which thanks to regular mindful exercise is rare.



No comments:

Post a Comment