Sunday, May 9, 2010

Monday and Some Explanations (Fitstix, etc.)

Since today is laundry day and my washing machine and dryer are adjacent to my basement workout area, I'll be timing my 20 minute rest to overlap with laundry duty.... hopefully LOL

Will be doing 30 minutes of Exercise TV's 21 day cardio 2 (ELLE Make Better second cardio workout) then 20 minutes of laundry and healthbouncing then Incredible Abs3 and Classical Stretch to complete the second 30 minutes of exercise.   Same toys as yesterday: Fitstix and Urban Rebounder for cardio then a heavier homemade XCO trainer for Incredible Abs.

Previous to this 30-20-30 formula, I was doing the 60 minutes of exercise without the midway rest.  A study was done which indicated more fat burning when a 20 minute rest period broke up the two 30 minute exercise sessions.

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/short/102/6/2158

I am hoping this will make my metabolism respond differently than it has been without the overtraining effects which seem to occur whenever I workout more than 60 minutes.

Why Fitstix?  Fitstix have a sliding filler which creates a reactive impact that strengthens joints. Overtraining with dumb bells had greatly aggravated my elbows because my muscles could go heavier and longer than my supporting joints could handle.  Of course, I didn't realize this until the damage was done but luckily, thanks to Fitstix, the damage seems to be reversible. In addition, Fitstix add intensity because I am involving the upper body and core more.  XCO trainers are similar in theory but are wider in diameter than Fitstix so when it is a movement where two hands are holding one weight, I use one of my homemade XCO trainers.  All I did was fill a Pringles or Lays Stax can with about a pound of rocksalt and duct taped the lids on.  To go alittle heavier, I used less rocksalt and added in some pennies.  How the filler slides, gently and smoothly is more important than the actual weight.  The sound of the sliding filler lets you know when the movement is correct for reactive impact.  Between the Fitstix workouts and XCO youtube clips, I learned how to move these kind of weighted objects, going for the filler slide. I loved medball workouts using my little kettlebell from the Kettlenetics set but now am using sliding filler weights exclusively.  AWT (Aerobic Weight Training) or 4 limb movement is still one of my favorites styles but now I just replace all weighted objects with those having a sliding filler so I can do my favorite workouts without overusing my joints.

Rebounding can make light weights have a heavier effect because of the G Force so some folks have a tendency to use weights that are too heavy for the joints when rebounding.  The 14 ounces of a Fitstix is perfect when bouncing.

Fitstix and workouts designed for them can be purchased through the Fitstix products link or through Mary's Total Fitness Dvds link listed in my links section.  Both sites have clips of the workouts.  I do not receive any financial gains from promoting these sites offering Fitstix products but the relief from elbow pain I have experienced is payment enough for me.  

ETA: I am in my 20 minute rest period now and wanted to add that the second ELLE Make Better cardio was all done upright so didn't have to modify much at all :)

very rebounder and Fitstix friendly

I guess I should mention that I started eating more mindfully last week and since have gone from the higher end of my plateau to its lower end.  Just a thought though, if I do bust through the lower end and stay there, guess I may have to start a different blog!  

Also if anyone wants to get a feel for sliding weights, specifically Fitstix, I did make a decent cheap homemade version.  Walmart sells large bubble containers with a handle on them for $2 in their toy department.  I broke off the thinner part of the wand inside, rinsed out the bubble mix and let it air dry real well then filled it halfway with rocksalt and a few pennies.  Rocksalt alone would probably work too but already had a concoction in the house and the rest of the rocksalt was in the garage.  One day, I may twist off the handle and pick out the pennies LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment