Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Monday and having a colonoscopy

Yesterday was the dreaded day (as well as Sunday) because of the two part prep for a colonoscopy as well as no solid food for almost 2 full days.  Thanks to tips on the internet, I had no problem downing half a gallon of the electrolyte flushing solution each day.  Best tip was to add Chrystal Light (I used one packet of the lemonade flavor) when mixing the powder with lukewarm water then dispensing the solution into 16 oz water bottles with a funnel to chill thoroughly and to be able to gulp down the stuff without smelling it or having it be in the mouth long 1/2 a bottle every 10 minutes.

Worse part of th experience for me was the horrible dry mouth I had after the procedure with absolutely no appetite. When I did try to drink or eat, everything tasted bland if not bad.  I was worried I permanently damaged my taste buds with dehydration or whatever and feared my #1 enjoyment in life, savoring food was over.  Thankfully, this morning my taste seems to be somewhat improved in spite of still no appetite which I am sure will return ravenously eventually as my setpoint demands more calories consumed.

The best news is my colon was polyp and bleed free.  I had resisted having this procedure done for years till my blood showed  I may be developing an Iron deficiency so had it done to rule out any colon bloodloss.  

Another unexpected development was I had less vertigo afterwards in spite of the sedation because I guess the dehydrating effect helped drain fluid even from my ear canals.

No comments:

Post a Comment