Friday, May 6, 2011

Bounce Camp by Jumpsport, a Review in Progress

I only did the warmup, first circuit and alittle of the cardio in the second circuit so will add more details to this review as more of the Jumpsport *Bounce Camp* dvd is done without previews which is the way I prefer to do a new workout. My first impressions made me want to cave immediately and order the other dvd that interested me but will wait till I have finished this one and hear some impressions of the other workout as others on VF report in. Will not be ordering the third because it requires a stability bar.

The setting in a a well lit gym.
The male instructor is very pleasant on the eyes and ears and gives excellent form reminders along the way. There are 2 background female exercisers who show modifcations and all are dressed in workout clothes and sneakers.
The music is loud enough but I couldn't fully get into it because I am bouncing on the Jumpsport bungee in our living room so had to keep the volume lower. Also I have no clue how much I actually did timewise because am using the Play Station2 as my dvd player and do not know all of its intricacies. Was lucky just to be able to put it on and off.

After the warmup, there are 3 circuits, each of which I believe starts with cardio then does strength and finishes with core. All are chaptered so you can do them separately or in any combination. The warmup was a pretty good cardio spark on its own IMHO especially if you really press downwards into the mat. Cardio moves included bouncing, running, bunny bounces forward and back and jumping jacks. Most movement emphasized pushing downwards but with the feet totally flat unlike the UR style that has the weight forward on the balls of the foot.
Non bouncing moves included squats with crescent kicks for lower body while standing on the mat for an extra balance challenge, planks for upper body and side planks for the core. There was also some upper body while kneeling on the bungee. The kneeling, planks and side planks were way more comfortable for me done on the bungee.

I think this dvd will deliver what people had hoped to find in the new URX series without the distractions and unsafe moves. Obviously, the instructor is better acquainted with the bungee and rebounding than most of the instructors in the URX series.

ETA: sorry but really do not have an update yet. It was my intention to do the second segment this morning but I couldn't get the Play Station2 to the point of where I stopped yesterday during segment one's cardio so had to let all of segment one play through while I jogged on the bungee just to see I had only skipped less than a minute yesterday grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Too bad this dvd doesn't have a cardio premix or separate cardio chapters.

ETA: finally got around to trying the second segment of Bounce Camp and it was *Just Right*.
Each segment (lower body, upper body, core and cardio) can definitely be a perfect daily workout each on its own as long as you add your own stretch. There may be a stretch at the end of the dvd as well which I haven't gotten around to yet. Can always do the dvd's warmup too. As in the first segment, the instructor does very easy looking moves that are quite deceptively challenging on the bungee. Abs felt effective without aggravating my back. It really does show you what you can do with the bungee in addition to bouncing. Got breathless quite a few times! and am still sweating. I Don't think the spring rebounders would have the same effects or be as comfortable.

ETA: Just finished the third segment and some of the cooldown stretch.
There were alot of challenging balance moves, including one legged deadlifts while standing on the mat then doing a swimming move that felt very effective. For Triceps I prefer to sit on the bungee and lean back with my hands on the mat behind me and let my triceps lower me and push me back up instead of the more traditional triceps dips done off the frame. The Stretch was pretty routine. However, overall, there is alot more cardio on the dvd that came with the 370 so am hesitant to order the other Jumpsport dvd that interested me because I have enough strength workouts as it is. Will wait for impressions of that dvd from others before caving. Meanwhile, will be revisiting the dvd that came with the 370 and sharing more details about it as I go.

BTW, I did figure out how to fast forward on the Play Station2 along the way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment