Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pain, Fibromyalgia

Pain is a funny thing.
When it is there, I am very aware of it.
When it is gone, I am not always aware of it.

Tuesday morning I woke up with a throbbing tooth and thought for sure it was heading for root canal. Made an appointment with my dentist for the next day then the throbbing left and never returned. Dentist could find nothing and said to return if and when the pain returned. He didn't even charge me for the visit.

Same thing happens with alot of my daily aches and pains. Some pain is chronic and felt everyday. Some twinging and intense pain spasms happen out of the blue and go away just as mysteriously. I started recording the pain since when it is gone, I am less aware of it. Also tried to remember previous bouts of pain over the decades. It is pretty clear I have been living with daily pain for as far back as I can remember. My ribs were so sensitive in my 20's that I had a huge fight with my DH since he had a tendency to poke me there. After comparing my pain sensations online and with friends, I am back to the conclusion that I have fibromyalgia which I have considered on and off over the decades. Yes there are other things going on like some injuries and arthritis complicating the sensations but it is clear that my tolerance for pain is more sensitive than what is normal. I cannot tolerate most pain meds without a bleeding tendency so am pretty much left with Acetaminophen/Tylenol, external Arnica, and whatever combinations of heat/icing, massage and exercise seem to help.

There is no magical cure. Just keep on muving, avoid triggers and do whatever helps to lessen the pain messages my nerves are sending to my brain. Stress plays a huge factor too so stressing over pain just makes the whole scenario worse.

ETA:
I decided to try Melatonin because it seemed to help me sleep in the past and may have been helping pain tolerance as well. Think I stopped using it because I was in a better sleeping pattern so didn't need it anymore at the time.

This morning I did the Jessica Smith Barefoot Sunset Walk on youtube. I love the variety of movements and how she tweaks them to loosen all of the joints. It may be the most therapeutic walking type workout. It's like a Nia Walk Fusion. Of course, I do most of it halftime.

Then I did the standing part of Katami Konditioning. Again the bar kept me in alignment as well as made me sweat while working mostly the core.

Finished with the standing part of the nice Classical Stretch for golfers on the Cardio Stretch dvd.

I feel much better now than I did before workingout.
I must make myself move more throughout the day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment