Saturday, December 3, 2011

OMG Meatloaf!

I usually barely tolerate meatloaf but DH brought home chopped meat today and I was determined to make it as healthy as possible so checked a few recipes online and combine a few of them.

Earlier in the day I sauteed chopped celery, carrots, onion, garlic, green pepper and red pepper till tender in Canola oil. Then I splashed the concoction with some crushed red pepper, black ground pepper, Worcestershire sauce, Balsamic vineagar and ketchup and let the concoction cool.
90 minutes before dinner, I combine the veggie concoction, 2 eggs, chopped meat, alittle more Worcestershire sauce, Balsamic vineagar and ketchup, reserving some for the outer glaze and my new secret meatloaf ingredient...... OATMEAL! I usually used bread crumbs and was thinking of using high fiber bread instead till I read that oatmeal was an option. I was a bit skeptical because it didn't seen as wet as my previous meatloafs and I feared the oatmeal would dry out all of its moisture. Smeared the glaze on and popped it in the 325 degree oven for 90 minutes till the center read medium well and ends read well done on my meat thermometer. The final result was incredible. Moist and delicious. Best meatloaf any of us ever ate and probably the healthiest.

ETA: another healthy find for us has been frozen hashed brown potatoes at Aldi's which is just grated potatoes and went very well with the meatloaf. I dump them into a pan sprayed with a nonstick spray and sprinkle with alittle seasoning (Soul Seasoning found at Shop-rite which includes salt, onion, garlic, paprika, red pepper, cumin, coriander, turmeric, celery, fennel, black pepper and other spices) and bake covered with foil, flip it as its bottom browns every 20 minutes till steaming hot. No fats or oils and minimal salt.

For Thanksgiving I made my potato stuffing using these hash browns and adding grated carrots and grated onions. Unfortunately, Aldi's has them in their weekly special freezer section so may eventually run out of them but probably can find something similar at another supermarket for more $$ or be ambitious and grate potatoes the old fashioned way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment