Thursday, November 6, 2014

Statins and Thyroid Cancer

I have a multi-cystic nodular goiter (cysts in and around the thyroid making it seem larger).  Of course, my doctor pretty much ignored this condition even though my previous doctor detected it and sent me to an endocrinologist.  I had Ultrasounds and an aspiration biopsy which was benign.  My thyroid hormones were ok and the endocrinologist didn't think any action was needed except to keep an eye on those levels.

I have been reminding my doctor to check my thyroid at my annuals and he would say it is *OK*.  It was hard enough to drag some of the other lab test numbers from him so I never asked for the specific values.  Now I read this:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cen.12570/abstract

This is the final line of the abstract:

Conclusions

We concluded that statin use was associated with thyroid cancer in female patients

No comments:

Post a Comment