Friday, May 16, 2014

Lipitor and Co Q10

This morning after skipping Lipitor last evening, my knee stiffness and hip twinges felt intensely yesterday are gone.  I have more energy but still alittle brain fog.  Hands are achy but can make fists.  I have been doing alot of research and believe part of my problem has been a Coenzyme Q10 deficiency so will be taking 50 mg twice a day with meals (breakfast and dinner), starting today.  Statins stop the production of this enzyme as well as the production of Cholesterol by the liver.  Less CoQ10 is produced as we age.  I may increase the CoQ10 dose if I ever return to daily Lipitor after my next cholesterol panel results in June.

I has read that the side effects of statins are higher in women and most scripts are based on testing in men. Also the higher doses of statins are less effective as we age and statins taken with food have a longer half-life slowing down their absorption while not affecting their LDL lowering effectiveness.  Several studies have seen comparable positive statin effects in groups taking a statin once a day or every other day.  Many physicians have been prescribing taking Lipitor every other day to avoid skeletal-muscular side effects.

So I was at a crossroads of listening blindly to my doctor who has ignored my complaints of pain and brain fog or becoming more pro-active.  Do I value my daily feeling of well being and quality of life less than that of a possible future cardio event?

Exercise and editing workouts have become my favorite leisure activities.  I much rather have more energy and less pain today than worry about a cardio event in 5 to 20 years.  The leg spasms I had several night ago made me hope for a fatal event instead of having to live with those spasms for the rest of my life.

ETA: This morning I revisited a few of my favorite jessicasmithtv edited files, mostly on the bungee and some on the stability ball.

ETA: I started a nice playlist on youtube for Virtual Walks with music suggestions.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1XWdZohmbnFH1XlW_SwAZCLNDfddk1UM

I have received permission to share my file of The Waterfall Walk with Classical MUsic.
My other edited files will remain private.

No comments:

Post a Comment