Saturday, January 28, 2012

Chronic Injuries

It seems as though my problematic knee suddenly healed as mysteriously as it acted up out of the blue a couple of months ago.
All swelling and weird twinging are gone.
A few years ago my elbows were problematic after going too heavy with biceps curls and snow shoveling but now they seem completely healed.

I am finding if I am patient, most chronic injuries can heal and our bodies are truly remarkable. Often after a rest day, my joints are even more stiff and achy so I try not to let an injury prevent me from moving while it heals by finding other ways to keep Muving. Many people use an injury as an excuse not to move which will slow down circulation and healing plus weaken other body parts, making them more prone to injury. Sometimes avoiding movement of an injured body part can cause the pain to radiate to other neighboring body parts or put a strain on another body part which is overcompensating.
Remember, almost any exercise can be done sitting on a chair or stability ball.
If something twinges, immediately make an adjustment.
Have Arnica gel nearby and apply immediately to any injury.
Check the internet for wonderful rehabilitation videos.
Listen to your body and learn what movements to avoid that can trigger a chronic problem.
If feeling a real pain, stay ahead of the pain, taking whatever pain medication can keep the pain from becoming an obstacle to moving and/or sleeping.


ETA: Just did some 2011 Exercell Beginner's workout on the bungee and think she does too many reps on one side of the same move and less on the other. IMHO, this dvd is too expensive for what it offers. Its clips looked and sounded so much better to me. Most of the moves do not even need a rebounder.
Then I did the warmup and first block of PeakFit Challenge Anywhere workout which produced a sweat. Had to do the jumping jacks on the UR because switched to my basement so did them slower and carefully.
Finished with some Tantric Toning which was so much better than what I remembered. It is like a fusion of Ellen, Classical Stretch, and Karen Andes Temple Dance. Made me feel really good after not really being able to get into the workout groove this morning. I swear the really old stuff is better than the new stuff. Too bad most current exercisers will be missing out on Tantric Toning and Barefoot Dancer.
May post a clip or two later.
I did note the dvd and vhs are available through Amazon. Also on Netflix Instant Watch. Cannot believe I found the dvd at Dollar Tree a few years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment