Monday, January 30, 2012

The Review Subjective Factor

Yesterday, as soon as I discovered that Kacy Duke had a dvd released in 2009 still available through her website, I immediately caved and ordered it because I loved all of her vhs, especially Sculpt&Groove.
http://kacydukefitness.com/about_video.php

Workouts by lesser known instructors really can get lost in the shuffle. All it takes is just one VFer who sometimes on a personal level does not like a workout or instructor to say something negative and bam, way less vhs or dvds are sold and way less people ever try the workout to discover their own impressions. Worse yet, let the instructor make a bad business decision and it can end the venture. Misty Tripoli had this problem a couple of times. So did my beloved Kukuwa. Even more recently Michelle Dozois because her PeakFit challenge series arrived in a cardboard case that scratched the dvds.

If I remember right, I was one of the very few who loved Misty's first series when it was first released and otherwise, she didn't fare well on VF. Some didn't like her demeanor. Some didn't like the setting. Some tried to order the free dvd and it never arrived. Now that her first series was re-released at a very low price, many more caved and are finding they really liked it more than expected!
Sometimes it seems, I am always going against the mainstream flow when it comes to choosing workout favorites. Other people's trash often becomes my treasure. Sometimes it seems, if I like a workout, a few will immediately hate it without giving it a fair try.
I, myself, never really know if I am going to like a workout till I try it. Clips and even previews can be deceiving to me, let alone somebody else's impression who has a completely different workout preference than my own. I love the full body feel good workouts but hated Petra's Breathe series because of its TIFTTing. Otherwise, BREATHE was a huge hit on VF because of its well known instructor. Tantric Toning is similar without the TIFTTing but because one VFer didn't like the instructor's lips, she slammed the workout, stopping many others from trying it.

After all of these years since her vhs workouts, I am really hoping Kacy Duke's new dvd offers something fresh and enjoyable but then again she has recently said she loves pushups and I hate them!
(Rather my shoulders, elbows, and wrists hate them)
I always loved her cardio but this dvd may be more focused on strength so not sure if it will click for me. If it doesn't click, I cannot review it because it wouldn't be fair. I do know from a clip that the background is all white and Kacy and another exerciser are in black and really stand out visually. There was a vhs workout done by someone else years ago that got slammed for a similar all white background. Hoping music is still a huge factor for her as it was in Sculpt&Groove. Music would be the dealbreaker/dealmaker for me. I am finding I need MUsic to MUve.

I love to post clips on my blog and will ask Kacy's permission to do so if I think it will help her venture rather than write a formal review because I cannot be objective. Unlike other blogs, I am not receiving the dvd as a gift to advertise or giveaway. Since I paid full price, I can be more honest about it. However, I do have an emotional investment as well as financial one which may affect my impressions since I have liked Kacy Duke so much in previous workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment